Reading Homework (Tarea)
Reading homework is for students to read 20 minutes a night.
The purpose of this homework is:
- to foster a love of reading
- to build stamina, fluency and vocabulary in an authentic way
The following are acceptable formats:
- reading independently
- reading with a friend
- listening to an audiobook in the car
- listening to an adult read out loud
- any other way books can enter brains
Students may read:
- books of any genre
- Graphic novels/comics/manga
- song lyrics
- raz-kids ebooks
- tumblebooks online
- kindle books
At this time, I will not require a reading log.
Instead, a time will be set aside each Friday for "home reading challenge", during which time, students may earn challenge points/extra credit if they share evidence of having enjoyed and engaged in reading at home during the week.
Evidence might be something like:
- verbally telling the class about their reading
- create a drawing depicting a scene or character in a book they are currently reading or have read
- write a book recommendation (or disrecommendation) to post in the classroom
- a list of questions they asked about the book, before, during or after their reading.
- a list of interesting/challenging words they found while reading.
- make a book trailer or youtube type video discussing the book they are reading.
- picture of them reading
- attendance at any reading/book related event (library events, book signings, author/speaker events)
- etc (kids and parents may have other great ideas)